Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What happened?


Hey Everyone,
 
I just wanted to send out a post to let everyone know that stories of my death are greatly exaggerated.
 
I am hopefully scheduled to be released from the hospital tomorrow evening assuming that I can do all my physical therapy drills.
 
On Saturday the 18th while doing the Civilian Firearms Training class I completely tore both patella tendons off the bone on each knee.
 
Some individuals had questions in class about whether or not they could draw their firearm in time to shoot an assailant closing with a knife. The drill is called the Tueller Drill (which is just another reason why we do Krav Maga). You can Google it and get some really good information about it. We've done the drill dozens of times. We were both wearing proper safety equipment and the drill is not at all dangerous to practice.
 
The gunman stands and waits 21ft from the individual with the knife. When the knife wielder moves, the gunman can pull their weapon. I was the knife wielder.  I exploded and ran at Brent (gunman) as I leaped to stab him both of my knees dislocated and stayed out. For any of you that know me you know my knees are all beat up and that both kneecaps "float". I've had other people tell me that "yeah theirs is like that too". No, it isn't. I can pull them out of socket and leave them out until I want to pop them back in. I've had this happen before but only on one knee and they eventually popped back in. This time they didn't. The only way I can describe it to you is this: Imagine pulling your knees out of socket then squatting deep on the balls of your feet. Then jump.
 
I had surgery to clean up all the bone chips, they drilled holes in my kneecaps and reattached the tendons (I don't think they'll float any more). Hopefully I'll be released back into the wild tomorrow evening. My knee brace time is 4 to 6 weeks. The doctor estimated it will take me 4 to 6 months to be back to full speed. I take that as a challenge.
 
Classes will continue as normal. All the guys and gals have pitched in to take up my slack. I should be back as a presence at the school by next week.
 
BTW, I stabbed Brent in the head with the training knife.
 
 
Steve Woolridge
Kansas City Chief Krav Maga Instructor